Human Services Resume
Stacey Beth Shulman MEd CASP
Human Services Specialist with over 15 years of combined experience in a variety of settings including geriatric/long term care, community reentry, acute rehabilitation, psychiatric, oncology, and addiction. Areas of expertise include art, creative expression, yoga, relaxation, alternative therapy techniques. Conduct evaluations including Mini Mental State Exam, Clock Drawing Task, and The Allen Diagnostic Module to assess cognitive functioning, physical abilities, and recreation needs to positively affect quality of life. Develop, implement, and evaluate individual treatment plans incorporating one to one and group interventions, co-treatments with speech, occupational, and physical therapies, community reentry outings, and aquatic therapy. Conduct clinical consultations with multi-disciplinary treatment teams. Coordinate discharge planning. Recruit, train, and supervise staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Created a comprehensive caregiver database providing community resources for the metro Atlanta area
- Cultivated relationships between clients, staff, volunteers, and board members for non-profit nursing home and assisted living facilities.
- Coordinated social support services and provided comprehensive case management for clients and family members of assisted living facility.
- Planned and executed fundraising and special events for non-profit nursing home and assisted living facilities.
- Created marketing materials including newsletters and information packets for non profit assisted living facility.
- Provided training to assisted living staff in topics such as dementia education, trauma & crisis management for older adults, and CPR & first aid.
- Expanded program offerings by evaluating preexisting group activities and creating new ones based on clients interest and functional abilities, resulting in an increased participation in a variety of cultural and therapeutic programming for clients in an assisted living facility.
- Produced quarterly special events for residents in a skilled nursing facility, resulting in increased family interactions, volunteer support, and press coverage for the facility.
- Developed cross disciplinary community reentry outing goal sheet to reinforce therapy goals and document patient progress for clients with brain injuries in a community reentry program.
- Promoted transdisciplinary treatment delivery by co-leading aquatic therapy, gait lab, disability awareness, cooking, and communication skills groups with patients in inpatient and outpatient physical rehabilitation programs.
- Created and implemented unique Creative Journal Program to promote creative expression of feelings and stress management through journal keeping for patients in an oncology treatment program.
Professional Presentations and Training
- Developed and presented seminars on topics including relaxation and guided visualization, incorporation of personal ritual in therapeutic interventions, alternative therapy techniques, and creative expression.
- Presented seminars to audiences of up to 130 people in a variety of settings, including national and regional recreation therapy conferences, visiting professional series, and grand rounds of the National Institutes of Health.
- Trained hospice volunteers in creative expression and guided visualization for stress management.
- Provided quarterly in-service training sessions for volunteers on topics ranging from dementia education to hand massage for relaxation and sensory stimulation.
- Developed a program of monthly intergenerational activities for a year long volunteer partnership with a 5th grade class of 60 students.
- Supported student interns in creating and facilitating weekly exercise, cooking, and therapy groups.
|Community Coordinator||The Cohen Home, Alpharetta, GA||9/01 – 8/09|
|Director, Dept. of Recreation Therapy||The William Bremen Jewish Home, Atlanta, GA||8/98 – 8/01|
|Recreation Therapist 2||Georgia Baptist Medical Center, Atlanta, GA||6/95 – 8/98|
|Activity Therapist 1||The Bradley Center, Columbus, GA||1/95 – 6/95|
|Recreation Therapy Intern||National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD||9/94 – 12/94|
|Recreation Therapist||The Commencement Center, Athens, GA||9/93 – 8/94|
Education , Training, and Professional Memberships
Georgia Institute on Aging Board of Directors, Class of 2010
Certified Aging Services Professional (CASP). 2009. University of North Texas.
Professional Certificate in Gerontology. 2009. Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, GA.
United Way Certified Case Manager. 2008. Atlanta, GA.
AAHSA Leadership Institute. 2008. gahsa delegate. New Orleans, LA.
gahsa NEXT! Professional Development & Leadership. 2007. Atlanta, GA.
NCTRC Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS). 1995-2009.
M.Ed., Recreation & Leisure Studies. 1994. The University of Georgia, Athens, GA.
B.F.A., Ceramics & Art Education. 1992. The University of Georgia, Athens, GA.